Voice Software For Linux and Unix Systems
Perlbox.org provides voice solutions for Linux and Unix desktop control. There is great need for quality accessibility
for the Linux desktop. The need will only grow as Linux and open source Unix continue to grow more popular on home, educational,
corporate and government desktops and servers. In an effort to help make Linux more accessible for for all types of users,
and in an effort to help fund the growth of Perlbox open source projects, we will provide custom solutions and onsite
installations and configurations for third parties. Contact us for more information. Linux should be accessible.
We have worked with the open source community for three years to grow several free software products centered around voice and speech recognition,
accessible interfaces, and voice control for Linux.
Perlbox Voice Control:
1. Text to speech (Thanks to the Festival speech synthesizer)
2. Voice control to open user specified applications. For example, if you say "Web", the Perlbox-Voice Control will open the browser
of your choice.
4. Desktop plugins to control your Linux desktop using only your voice. You can switch virtual screens, cycle through desktops, invoke the run dialog, quick lock the screen. Currently there is a plugin for KDE.
3. Custom commands are fully supported, and you can add commands on the fly.
4. 'Pseudo Commands' allow you to enter commands that the speaker should say. For example, if you say "Good morning", the computer voice could say "And good morning to you". It's all
up to you.
5. Help documentation.
6. The best thing is that you don't have to train the listening agent. The sphinx2 backend can be used by multiple people on the same machine
without reconfiguration. It is also robust to background noise and ambient sound.
7. Easy to use and attractive interface built with perl and perl-Tk.
8. Uses to Festival Speech Synthesizer backend for text to speech and speaking functionality.
Perlbox Voice Control Home
Download and Install: Installation instructions and more.
Plugins: Information on Desktop plugins
Tutorial: See screenshots and get a feeling for perlbox-voice's capabilities.
FAQ: See some frequently asked questions that may help with trouble shooting.
API: Interested in developing Linux voice recognition applications? Have a look at the Perl API.
Perlbox-Voice for KDE (Early Development):
Track KVoiceAssistant development through screenshots
KVoiceAssistant aims to provide complete voice control for the KDE desktop. Development has just begun, but it is moving rapidly.
Here is a recent screenshot for KVoiceAssistant, the new KDE interface for the Perlbox Voice application framework.
This application will feature full KDE integration, implementing the Perlbox template in C++ using QT.
Currently: The splash page and the control pane are designed, complete with slots.
2004/04/06:New Release Perlbox-voice 0.7-6, this release contains fixes several bugs that caused problems
with newer Perl-Tk installs. Thanks to Nick Ing-Simmons for the patch!
Download it here
Support Open Source Development. Please Support Sourceforge.